There are a number of syndicates in Dinotopia; they act as a swift and brutal law enforcement in place of a state-controlled force.
Major Dinotopian ‘Families’ in Waterfall City:
- The Tamerals
- A mostly human gang that roams Waterfall City; recent years has seen a rise in power. The leader of the group is Gio Tameral.
- The Tamerals control much of the black market in weapons in Waterfall City and the surrounding areas. Their rules, they say, are of old-fashioned respect. Pay your ‘taxes’ and become part of the family, or live outside their protection.
- Gio was born in Waterfall City but grew up in Sauropolis. When he returned, he gathered a crew, saw his opportunity to make a name for himself, and seized power.
- The Dragons
- A Dracorex, self-styled Queen Bella, has long held sway over Waterfall City. She keeps a tight grip on drugs and prostitution, although she has lost the market on weapons to Gio Tameral.
- Queen Bella and her crew have more contacts in the city than Gio, but tend to be less brutal. About two years ago, the Tamerals conducted a violent bid for control that took Queen Bella by surprise and successfully instituted themselves as a power in the city. In retaliation, the Dragons have been escalating their level of ferocity. The past six months alone have seen more ‘little jobs’ than the preceding three years combined.
- The Dragons offer much the same deal as the Tamerals, for very competitive rates. If you are in decent standing with them, a month’s protection for a non-business owner is two gold pieces.